logo by massive; davefest 2, california

Other sites to visit:

Site links: Tech Articles / Live Chat / Model Years List / Member Map / Search / FAQ zx6e.net =  

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Oil leak from water pump
Racer X
Posted: Aug 18 2009, 01:59 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,707
Bike: '99 ZX6E

Well this is just a riot.

I'll put the pictures up later when I get home, but there's oil leaking from what seems to be either the weep hole, or (I'm hoping) from where the pump is inserted into the engine.

What's the likelihood of me being able to get through this one by just replacing the o-ring at the back of the water pump?

If that likelihood is slim to none... well, at a dealer price of $150, it looks like I'll be posting in the wanted forum. smile2.gif
PMEmail Poster
Racer X
Posted: Aug 18 2009, 08:00 PM
Quote Post

user posted image

and

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coyotesniper204
Posted: Aug 19 2009, 10:57 AM
Quote Post

The One

Member No.: 2,851
Bike: 94 ZX6-E

did It start after the RTV was used?
PMEmail PosterAOL
Racer X
Posted: Aug 19 2009, 11:23 AM
Quote Post

I'm going to say yes... since I didn't put the RTV there. Previous owner did.

I should clean that up some, does look a bit tacky.
PMEmail Poster
coyotesniper204
Posted: Aug 19 2009, 01:02 PM
Quote Post

The One

Are You sure it isn't comming from the valve cover gasket and running down the front or side of the engine.
I have not had my pump off to say weather or not oil could be comming from behind it. Also it is not leaking from around the stator any where?
PMEmail PosterAOL
bobl
Posted: Aug 19 2009, 01:19 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 891
Bike:

I would leave the sprocket cover off, clean it good, and then pinpoint the leak. It' hard to tell with oil all over.
PMEmail Poster
coyotesniper204
Posted: Aug 19 2009, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

The One

Good call bobl.
I forgot about the front sprocket. Might just be a seal.
I had chain lube dripping down on Mine. Most of it was getting on the kick stand bracket.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Racer X
Posted: Aug 19 2009, 07:47 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (coyotesniper204 @ Aug 19 2009, 03:02 PM)
Are You sure it isn't comming from the valve cover gasket and running down the front or side of the engine.
I have not had my pump off to say weather or not oil could be comming from behind it. Also it is not leaking from around the stator any where?

Yeah, I degreased everything from the bottom of the water pump down, and took it for a ride.

Got back, parked it, and that drip you see in the photo is the only spot that had oil.

bobl, I'm going to clean up the oil pump and sprocket area, and take it out again and look for leaks.
PMEmail Poster
Windsor Green Ninja
Posted: Aug 20 2009, 06:44 PM
Quote Post

You wouldn't go naked in public, neither should your bike...

Member No.: 2,434
Bike: '97 zx6-e, '04 636

If you def think it's coming from the water pump I would first start by simply checking to make sure all the bolts holding it on are attached... other than that there is an O-ring where the water pump inserts into the crankcase... I would suspect that possibly.

Bobl had a good point... I had a small panic attack when I saw my bike dripping only to realize that I got a little carried away with the chain lube and it was collecting on the inside of the front sprocket cover and dripping off after a ride.

Just stumbled onto this... there is apparently some sort of plug in the side of the crankcase located behind the pump... P/N 92066-1110

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Racer X
Posted: Aug 23 2009, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

It was the pump. Oil was seeping out of the weep hole.

$35 on eBay, and knock on wood it's not leaking. thumbsup.gif
PMEmail Poster
coyotesniper204
Posted: Aug 23 2009, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

The One

Crank case full?
Just kidding. Glad to hear it was an easy fix.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Joubird
Posted: Jun 15 2010, 10:51 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3,282
Bike: Ninja 600R 1986 - ZX-6E 1999

Hi,

I'm a newer here due to a same leak problem from the hole drain of the water pump.

I clean everything around the pump to find the leak and it's really comming from that hole. Does the remplacement of the E-bay water pump straight up the problem?

Me too the dealer say that the water pump assembly should be replaced; If coolant is leaking from that hole, it's the mecanical seal of the pump = change assembly. If it's oil = change assembly... but, you could open it and check for an oil rod seal that you could have it at a bearing dealer. The o-ring at the back of the pump seal only the pump in it's housing and will not fix the leak.

So I'm at the point to decide if I order a new pump or try to fix it. Is there someone that notice that there's a $10 rod seal there?

I'll post back when it's fix

Thanks guys, have a nice summer
PMEmail Poster
indiana542003
Posted: Jun 15 2010, 07:20 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3,145
Bike: 97 E

You have to replace the whole water pump.
PMEmail Poster
Joubird
Posted: Jun 18 2010, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

YES! There is a $5 box rod seal with a smal notch on the fist lips (motor side). The seal is identify as NOK AE0387E ID12 x OD28 x 7 with double lips.

BUT I got a damage bearing too that miss 2 balls!! sad2.gif

I don't think that those 2 balls got in the motor, the second lips (pump side) is undammage and thight on the shaft. No mark on the shaft. And if so behind the pump there is a space of approx. 1" before the wall. The oil pump is behind that wall so it does'nt suck in that area. They could be; in the pan of the purge oil, or it get in the coolant section and they're somewhere in the radiator... I reassure myself that if they pass trought an oil pass I would know right now and it's been a month that I got that small leak.

I replaced the 6001-2RS1 bearing and the rod seal for $15 and install this tonight hoping everithing work well.

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Akiva1080
Posted: Jun 18 2010, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

Yeehaw

Member No.: 1,073
Bike: '01 ZX6 Neons,0 grav screen

hmm this might be worth a shot. gotta find a seal w/ those specs.
Does the bearing wear also? or just the seal
PMEmail Poster
Joubird
Posted: Jun 21 2010, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

Every thing back in place and no leak for now. (haven't start motor yet) thumbsup.gif

No balls bearing found in the oil pan, neither in the coolant pan! cry.gif

I thing before starting it I will drain the oil again, refill with a cleanner recipe (1L of diesel / 3L of cheap oil), make it run 5 min., flush it with a 4L of cheap oil and then re-put my 1500Km semi-synthetic oil. I will inspect the oil filter that I forgot to check the first time.

Does someone can tell me where those 2 balls bearing could went?

Thanks
PMEmail Poster
Akiva1080
Posted: Jun 21 2010, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

Yeehaw

Thats pretty cool Joubird,

Here's the sitch w/ mine, Finally got around to removing it and im puzzled. I blew in from the stem side and air was able to pass meaning the oil certainly was able to leak past the seal and the bearing.
However, there's NO PLAY in the shaft! The seal looks 100% but from what I've read i shouldn't trust it. Would be sweet if I could source a replacement.

The bearing tho, looks like all this crud is on it

user posted image

I wonder if it's because of the contaminants from oil that messed it up.

Joubird, I'm surprised you found a replacement seal, this looks like it has some metal springs on the inside.

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Akiva1080
Posted: Jun 21 2010, 01:37 PM
Quote Post

Yeehaw

Just realized something....
Is this the seal that could be the (only) culprit?
The one on top of the bearing
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Joubird
Posted: Jun 22 2010, 06:15 AM
Quote Post

Hi Akiva,

your pictures look just like mine. The top bearing seal get out too. the NACHI bearing was replaced by a SKF with 2RS1 seal that, for my opinion, is better seal from the original. Time will tell.

For the seal, well, it's a standard 2 lips seal that the 2 local generals bearings stores I called have in stock. One at $4.43 and the other at $2.75. I get back tomorrow because I don't have the brand of the seal with me but it has the dimensions in it's part number as 28127 (I missed 2-3 letters at the start).

Inspect the pump shaft for mark or groove that could let oil pas trought the seal.

Taking out the pump impeller and shaft with an hydraulic press and gently pushing equaly the inner bearing trought the mecanical seal/outer bearing with a punch. Be carefull of that mecanical seal and the white ceramic insert in the impeller. When putting back the impeller be sure to push it ennought to put back the circlip because there's no shoulder to stop or located that shaft impeller.

Have a nice day
PMEmail Poster
Akiva1080
Posted: Jun 22 2010, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Yeehaw

thanks for that advice!
i inspected everything and it all looks in really good condition despite the oil gunk which i cleaned till it sparkled. I repacked the mech. seal which in doing so noticed that it went on nice and snug. I realized when I took the pump out it practically fell out on its own- I never pryed it out.

So either a tiny leak and pressure building back or some rotational forces caused the seal to back out.

Well I'm going to see what happens if I just put it all back together. It'd be spectacular if it was just a piece of crud that allowed oil seepage past. Meanwhile, the "triangular o-ring gasket" between the pump cover is somehow stretched so I think I'll try and get a new one before I try again.
PMEmail Poster
crooked
Posted: Jun 25 2010, 08:22 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3,153
Bike: 1990 ZX6D

I have the exact issue right now (oil leaking from the weep hole) on my '90 ZX6D (I know there's "D" Forum...), but my question is:

Will a pump from a ZX6E fit the ZX6D ?

Sure looks the same....
PMEmail Poster
Akiva1080
Posted: Jun 28 2010, 07:24 PM
Quote Post

Yeehaw

Just to update my sitch- new gasket came in and i put it all back together. So far no dripping out the weep hole but haven't had a chance to take it out for a spin yet but revving it a bit = nothing.
We'll see

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
crooked
Posted: Jun 29 2010, 07:47 AM
Quote Post

Akiva1080,

Where did you get the seal ?

I want give mine a shot as well.....
PMEmail Poster
crooked
Posted: Jun 29 2010, 07:48 AM
Quote Post

Joubird....any update ?
Is it all good, no leaks ?

How did you get the bearing and seal out ?
PMEmail Poster
Akiva1080
Posted: Jun 29 2010, 09:26 AM
Quote Post

Yeehaw

QUOTE (crooked @ Jun 29 2010, 06:47 AM)
Akiva1080,

Where did you get the seal ?

I want give mine a shot as well.....

to be honest, i just took apart the pump, and the seal i posted a pic of was located near the end of the tube on the shaft and i didn't need any tools to pry it out. It must have somehow backed itself out a bit.

I took it out, took out the bearing cover cap but not the bearing itself and cleaned all the disgusting crud making it look squeaky clean. Then i slowly put the seal back as far down the shaft as I could.

The only problem I had was the red oring for the water pump cover was crushed and therefore stretched and I had to order a new one.

Will see today whats up. But If not I may try to find a replacement seal (now I know the measurements) before I buy a new one b/c all the replacement ones on ebay look bad by the dirty weep holes in the pics.
PMEmail Poster
TX Biker Scum
Posted: Jun 29 2010, 09:38 AM
Quote Post

Group: Validating
Member No.: 128
Bike:

While you had the face seal off of the bearing, did you put any grease or other lube in there?
PMEmail Poster
Akiva1080
Posted: Jun 29 2010, 10:09 AM
Quote Post

Yeehaw

QUOTE (TX Biker Scum @ Jun 29 2010, 08:38 AM)
While you had the face seal off of the bearing, did you put any grease or other lube in there?

Altho I cleaned off the visible grime on the top of the bearing lip, the top of the inner race, and around the shaft - I didn't touch the balls inside so I thought it wasn't necessary.
Really don't wanna open it back up (especially since I already flushed and refilled the coolant) but if you think it's necessary I will.
PMEmail Poster
TX Biker Scum
Posted: Jun 29 2010, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

Group: Validating
Member No.: 128
Bike:

Sealed bearings like these (and the front wheel bearings) are 'lubed for life' by the manufacturer before the seals are installed. The side seals are not intended to be removed. But it sounds like this side seal removed itself.

Since coolant ran through it when the shaft seal wore out and the side seal was off, any lube in the bearing probably got flushed out. The bearing side seal being loose isn't a good sign for the bearing health either. In this case, bearing replacement would be best to avoid total bearing failure which could result in a bearing seizing, liberating parts into the water pump, or allowing the water pump impellor to run uncentered and damaging itself. If the bearing has reached end of life, I would expect the bearing to make squeeling and/or growling noises, but you might not be able to hear that over the normal engine noise.

So, if I were reusing that waterpump on my E and not replacing the bearing, I personally would pack the bearing with grease to prolong it's remaining life.
PMEmail Poster
Joubird
Posted: Jun 29 2010, 10:56 AM
Quote Post

Hi guys

I was gone motocross-camping a few days so I haven't got a chance to try the bike but at rest there's no leak. I started tonight for a test.

I wasn't to hurry to started because as I quote, I miss 2 balls of the old bearing and I haven't got some clue from ZX6E.net on the issue but after talking with a local mecanical "guru" who told me that I shouldn't be to concern exept if the bike get's upside down! He suggest, if it really stress me, take off the pump and go fishing with a magnet. The balls should be where they fall in the corner of the left crankcase cover?!? The oil pump have a strainer so it can't be suck trought the motor. I will go buy a magnet drain plug to replace the original that don't have it?!?

When I put back the parts together I haven't put lub on the sealed bearing but I put a bit of motor oil on the impeller shaft and in the housing so the seal get in smoothly by hand and push it back gently with a rench socket that fit the O.D. of the seal. Don't push on the lips or in the center of the seal because you will bent the cage structure of it.

For that seal, well, the first local bearing seller I called have it in stock.

Me too I add a red silicon o-ring pump cover seal stretched a bit but I manage to get it back in it's groove by slowly sliping by the side the cover on the housing. After you slip the cover a bit every sides to see if the o-ring is right in place.

Crooke: For the pump the ZX6E is a 4 bolts patern. If your D is too I'm pretty sure that it's the same but not the ZX6 pump that is a 3 bolts patern and that you can find a ton on the net but not for the E. I'm sure too that your local Kawy dealer can confirm it or check the net for parts diagram to see if it's the same part number. Here's a link where I consulted: http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?...OOSEVEHICLE.ASP
and check the june 22 post to read how I get the bearing out.

Good luck
PMEmail Poster
crooked
Posted: Jun 29 2010, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

Joubird, thanks for the update.....

Haven't taken the pump off the bike yet, but will probably do so this weekend, and it seems there are 3 bearing companies/dealers near me, so I'll give that a shot too.

Thanks

PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | The garage (help me fix it?!) | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

The writing on the wall

This site brought to you by Xedlum Inc.